Advanced Internet Research Techniques for Accountants (Completed)
Date: Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Instructor: Garrett Wasny
||9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
||4 hours for CPAs
When you search the Internet, do you type a word or two into Google.com, hit enter and hope for the best? You don’t know what you’re missing! Actually, you’re missing 99% of online information since Google.com indexes barely 1% of the web. Practical and concise, this webcast shows CPAs and other business professionals how to dramatically improve their online search skills, instantly increase their web productivity and seriously boost their Internet firepower as financial detectives.
BONUS: All participants will receive a free “Advanced Internet Research Techniques for Accountants” manual in PDF format (a $200 value).
Who Should Attend
Practitioners at all levels regardless of practice concentration who use Google and the Internet in their work and home life (and who doesn’t?). Even if you consider yourself web savvy (and especially if you're not), you are guaranteed to learn new search tips, techniques and tools that will take you to the next level of online intelligence gathering.
- Introduction: Why Internet searching is underrated in its importance, not as easy as it appears, and getting even tougher with exploding information volume and multiplying web devices.
- Search secrets exposed: Google is great, but it’s not perfect – the hidden biases, weaknesses and costs of Google that every searcher must know.
- Google search tools: Google is a suite of 200+ search services (including several mind-blowing but little-known applications that automatically search the web for you) and much more than Google.com.
- Google is not enough: other leading search tools. Google indexes barely 1% of the web so you must use other applications – from Q&A communities to e-marketplaces to information moshpits – to scan the entire Internet.
- Search commands: Take your searching to the next level by learning how to target specific phrases, file types, domains, and websites; how to uncover a website’s hidden links and history; how to scan for information in different time and space dimensions; and how to conduct search “mashups.”
- Search tags: Instantly increase the relevancy and accuracy of your searches using time-tagging, geo-tagging, intention-tagging and other tagging techniques.
- Search strategies and utilities: Learn the right and wrong ways of “talking” to a search engine; how to use synonyms, word order, word repetition, singular and plural wording, spellings (and even misspellings) to search smarter; and how to scan the web and instantly communicate in 30+ languages.
- Recap and wrap-up: Discover the three golden rules of searching, and how this seminar will instantly and dramatically transform your search skills (and maybe your life) forever.
- Understand how to gather more and better online intelligence in less time with less effort.
- Discover how to “outsource” and automate your searching and get web feeds to come to you 24/7/365 (instead of you constantly chasing information online).
NASBA Field of Study
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (4 hours)