Basics of Nexus: Understanding State Tax Issues (Completed)
Date: Monday, June 25, 2018
Instructor: Annette Nellen
||9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
||2 hours for CPAs
2 hours Federal Tax Related for EAs and OTRPs
2 hours Federal Tax Law for CTEC
Determining if a business has "nexus" in a state is a significant tax question with answers that change regularly due to legislation, judicial decisions, and new ways of doing business. The ease of being a multistate company in today's e-commerce environment means more businesses face this question. As states search for tax revenues, state legislatures and tax agencies are earnestly looking for ways to find that a business has income and/or sales tax obligations in the state. This webinar explains the legal basics of income and sales tax nexus, state actions to broaden their nexus reach and the importance of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision in the Wayfair case (expected by summer 2018).
Who Should Attend
Practitioners seeking an understanding of income and sales tax nexus and the warning signs of when a business has tax obligations in a state.
- Definition of nexus for multistate tax purposes
- Key case law and constitutional principles governing nexus
- Common state actions to broaden the definition of nexus.
- Possible changes from Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Define nexus for state and multistate tax purposes
- Recognize and apply the judicial and constitutional construct of nexus
- Identify factors that likely cause a business to have income or sales tax nexus
- Describe actions by states, Congress and the U.S. Supreme Court that affect nexus
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (2 hours)