Form 990: Exempt Organization Fundraising, Donor Acknowledgement, Gifts in Kind, Special Events (Completed)
Date: Thursday, April 4, 2019
Instructor: Jane Searing
||9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
||2 hours for CPAs
2 hours Federal Tax Related for EAs and OTRPs
2 hours Federal Tax Law for CTEC
This webinar is designed to assists public charities and their advisors understand the compliance issues related to Form 990 reporting on fundraising issues, donor acknowledgment, gifts in kind, including what is and what is not a special event and why it matters.
The disclosures on fundraising are important to public perception of tax-exempt organizations. In addition, understanding the reporting requirements and exceptions is necessary to correctly prepare the Form 990. Even seasoned return preparers can be confounded and surprised by even basic issues when the filer's facts are complicated. Understanding the details of the instructions and definitions is critical to getting both the public support test and the statement of functional expenses correct.
Join one of the country's leading tax-exempt organization practitioners, Jane Searing, CPA, M.S. Taxation, for a practical examination of the compliance issues related to Form 990 reporting fundraising issues, donor acknowledgment, gifts in kind, special events, and galas. Ms. Searing is a co-author of the Form 990 Compliance Guide published by Wolters Kluwer. This program will help you gain a complete understanding of the nuances of the parts of the Form 990 reporting requirements.
Who Should Attend
This program is beneficial for CPAs, enrolled agents, tax return preparers, tax attorneys and financial advisors who work with not-for-profit organizations and their donors.
- Fundraising reporting
- Donor reporting and substantial contributor disclosures
- Donor acknowledgment
- Reporting special events
- Non-cash Contributions
- Charity Responsibilities
- Recognize fundraising reporting issues on Form 990
- Describe donor reporting and substantial contributor disclosures
- Identify and prepare proper donor acknowledgment documents
- Recognize how to report special events and galas on Form 990
- Identify when penalties are applicable
- Differentiate when the value of the contribution is or isn't affected by the nature of the gift
- Recognize how communications by a charitable organization can inadvertently restrict the amount of donor contributions
- Recognize requirements for a qualified appraisal
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (2 hours)