S Corp Taxation Concepts and Planning Strategies (Full-Day Course) (Completed)
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2018
Instructor: James R. Hamill
||7:00am Pacific Time
8:00am Mountain Time
9:00am Central Time
10:00am Eastern Time
||8 hours for CPAs
8 hours Federal Tax Related for EAs and OTRPs
8 hours Federal Tax Law for CTEC
8 hours Income Tax Planning for CFP
This full-day CPE (8 CPE credits) webinar with nationally recognized tax practitioner and instructor, James Hamill, CPA, Ph.D. provides a practical review of how to deal with commonly encountered S corporation tax issues from a planning and compliance perspective.
S tax elections can be problematic when it is unclear that the entity satisfies all the qualification issues such as only one class of stock, qualifications of shareholders, and special issues that arise when making an S election for an LLC. Furthermore, losses may be limited by any of three limitations, and distributions can be complicated by the existence of earnings and profits. S corporations can also be subject to several corporate-level taxes. Business acquisitions and dispositions involving S corporations also require special and careful planning.
In this insightful online class, Dr. Hamill will clarify and deepen your understanding of these critical issues. He excels at taking complex tax concepts and explaining them in a clear, easy-to-understand manner that you can apply in your practice. Don't miss this opportunity to be prepared to handle even the thorniest S corporation taxation issues. All professionals involved with S corporation tax compliance and planning matters will benefit from this insightful webinar. The course presentation time will include opportunities for you to submit questions to Dr. Hamill.
Thank You Gift
As our “thank you for attending” gift, firms registered for this webinar will receive a complimentary issue of Wolter Kluwer’s Journal of Passthrough Entities in electronic format.
This course is excluded from the following subscription programs:
Value Pass, Unlimited Self-Study, Unlimited Webinars, Self-Study & Webinars Package, and Firm Package.
Who Should Attend
CPAs, EAs, tax preparers and other tax professionals with responsibility for review of S corporation and S corporation shareholder tax returns and planning for S corporations
- Structure of debt in capital structure to avoid a second class of stock
- Pitfalls in S elections for LLCs
- Basis of stock and debt in an S corporation
- Use of back-to-back loans to establish basis
- Importance of reporting Section 469 activities by S corporations
- Net investment income tax for S corporation income
- Property distributions and corporate tax effect
- Distributions with and without earnings and profits
- Corporate-level taxes affecting S corporations
- Post-termination transition period planning
- Taxable asset sales by S corporations - key planning issues
- Taxable sale of stock in an S corporation - key planning issues
- Elections to treat a stock acquisition as an asset acquisition
- Overview to impact of Section 199A deduction (Qualified Business Income Deduction)
- Apply essential S corporation taxation concepts to client situations
- Identify tax planning opportunities and pitfalls with S corps
- Explain key tax planning opportunities for S corp shareholders
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (8 hours)
Experience with S corp and S corp shareholder tax returns