Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Deep Dive (Full-Day Program) (Completed)
Date: Thursday, June 28, 2018
Instructor: Greg White
||7:00am Pacific Time
8:00am Mountain Time
9:00am Central Time
10:00am Eastern Time
||8 hours for CPAs
8 hours Federal Tax Law Updates for EAs and OTRPs
8 hours Federal Tax Updates for CTEC
8 hours Income Tax Planning for CFP
Answer Client Questions; Get Ahead on Tax Cuts and Jobs Act Effects
Put on your seatbelt and hold on. Congress passed most significant tax act in 31 years. Join experienced instructor Greg White for a “deep dive” into the domestic portions of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. The approach for this full-day (8 CPE hours) webinar will be on practical planning, and focused on reducing your clients’ taxes.
This powerful CPE webinar will provide you with the most recent and up-to-date explanations available on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. You'll receive answers to your clients’ tax questions in an accessible .PDF manual with regard to not only the impact on their 2017 tax returns, but more importantly, their tax situations going forward in 2018 and future years. Prepared and presented by tax expert and tax educator, Greg White, this course covers all the bases, including an in-depth analysis of the complex maze of new rules dealing with the all of the items listed below and much more!
This course is excluded from the following subscription programs:
Value Pass, Self-Study Package, Webinar Package, Self-Study & Webinar Package, and Firm Package.
Who Should Attend
EAs, tax professional, and CPAs in industry and public accounting who need a thorough understanding of how the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act will affect 2018 returns and planning.
- Mechanics of the new qualified business income deduction (QBID)
- Which income qualifies for the 20% deduction?
- When do real estate rentals qualify for the QBID?
- When do wage and property limits apply to the QBID?
- When can attorneys and CPA's qualify for the deduction?
- Practical strategies to assist your clients in qualifying for the QBID.
- What amount of wages is needed to optimize the QBID?
- What amount of property basis is needed to optimize the QBID?
- Should your clients switch from S corporations to C corporations?
- Which types of business meals are still deductible?
- Can home equity loans still qualify for the mortgage interest deduction? What if the proceeds were used to remodel your principal or second residence?
- When can bonus depreciation be used for rental real estate? Can your clients take bonus depreciation on personal property and land improvements acquired as part of the cost of a used duplex or apartment building?
- Can §179 be used to expense the cost of a new roof on a nonresidential building? Can §179 be used to write off tenant improvements for a nonresidential building?
- How has the scope of the $2,500 de minimis expense rule been expanded for most taxpayers?
- What practical tax strategies are available to reduce the impact of lost itemized deductions like unreimbursed employee expenses, taxes on investment property?
- What practical tax strategies are available in increase tax benefits from charitable donations?
- Which of your clients can convert to cash basis?
- What new methods are available for your clients to determine inventory costing?
- Understand and be able to advise clients on the Tax Cuts and Jobs Tax Act
- Awareness of the numerous changes as we prepare client 2017 returns on extenstion
- Fully understand the new effective tax rates and 20% deduction for K-1 income
- Advise clients on choice-of-entity issues going forward
- Identify which clients are still subject to AMT
- Maximize deductions for immediate write-off of asset acquisitions
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (8 hours)
Basic understanding of federal income taxation topics.