Establishing a Good Tone at the Top
Author: Robert K Minniti
||2 hours for CPAs
This course is designed to assist accountants and auditors develop and review preventive and detective controls while developing the control environment for an organization. We will discuss the theories that indicate that a good tone at the top is necessary to establish an effective control environment for an organization. We will discuss policies & procedures, ethics policies, and codes of conduct. Real world examples will be provided for participants to review.
Publication Date: May 2022
CFOs, CEOs, business owners, business managers, internal auditors, external auditors, corporate accountants, government accountants and risk management personnel.
- Control Environment
- Requirement for Internal Controls in Governments
- COSO Framework for Internal Control
- COSO Component Evaluation
- Fraud Theories
- Ethical Values
- Case Studies
- Code of Conduct
- Identify how to establish a good tone at the top
- Recognize how to develop cost effective internal controls for the Control Environment
- Identify which COSO component is often referred to as the "Tone at the Top"
- Identify what would not use the "Green Book" for developing internal controls
- Recognize which modern ethical theories is related to the concept the ends justify the means
- Describe which theory indicates that people are most likely to imitate the actions of their superiors
NASBA Field of Study
Accounting (1 hour), Auditing (1 hour)
An understanding of the COSO Framework on Internal Controls.