Information Technology in Today’s Digital World: General Controls Primer
Date: Tuesday, August 13, 2019
Instructor: Lynn Fountain
||9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
||2 hours for CPAs
Information technology and its role in today’s business environment is an important component for the success of today’s organization. Although organizations are staffed with experienced personnel who are skilled in the technicalities of data systems, personnel computer systems and data access methods, it is important that all personnel have a strong understanding of control procedures that comprise the complex nature of today’s digital world.
Advancements in technology have raised the level of acknowledgement of threats in the cyber age. These threats touch both the business world and personal lives. Information technology is no longer a “back-office” function. Once considered a process area that was solely part of the Chief Information Officer’s domain, companies must now acknowledge that whether the threats are internal or external, they are very real and can and will cause harm to many organizations in many ways. As a result, it is imperative that professionals across the company understand and be prepared to deal with the multitude of ever-growing cyber threats.
This training serves as a primer for understanding the many advancements of information technology and its uses in today’s business environment. These advancements and uses of information technology can relate to financial, operational or compliance reporting methods. We will discuss the critical tie to COSO 2013 and delve into understanding the variance between General Controls and Application Controls as well as cover important concepts related to information technology and cyber risks.
Who Should Attend
Professionals working with information technology, IT professionals, Accountants, Finance and internal audit professionals, Legal and Compliance professionals.
- Primer for understanding the many advancements of information technology
- Critical tie to COSO 2013
- Variance between General Controls and Application Controls
- Impact of data breaches
- Recent cyber incidents and their impact on business
- Important concepts related to information technology and cyber risks
- Identify the benefits and risks of Information Technology (IT) systems
- Describe COSO's link to Information Technology as it relates to the Control Environment, Risk Assessment, Control Activities, Information & Communication, and Monitoring
- Identify categories and examples of IT General Controls (GC)
- Recognize and apply the meaning and impact of data breaches
- Describe recent cyber incidents and their impact on business
- Identify types and methods of the most proliferate cyber threats
- Recognize and apply actions professionals and organizations can take towards prevention of cyber threats
NASBA Field of Study
Information Technology (2 hours)