WEP, GPO, Divorce, and other Social Security Nuances for Advanced Knowledge (Completed)
Date: Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Instructor: Theodore Sarenski
||8:00am Pacific Time
9:00am Mountain Time
10:00am Central Time
11:00am Eastern Time
||1 hour for CPAs
Social Security has rules and laws that rival the rules on taxation in its complexity. Join expert, Theodore Sarenski, CPA/PFS, CFP, AEP, as he talks about some of the lesser known sections of the Social Security law to advise clients who are not the norm.
Who Should Attend
Any professional who is advising individual clients should attend this session as well as all of the series of the Social Security sessions to properly advise your clients on Social Security, the backbone of each person’s retirement.
- The Windfall Eliminations Provision (WEP) and the Government Pension Offset (GPO); who is affected and how
- Marriage and Divorce; how this complicates projecting future benefits and relationships
- Railroad workers and veterans have some unique provisions within the system of Social Security
- Recognize how to advise clients who have worked in jobs where they paid into the Social Security system and who also worked in jobs where they did not pay into the Social Security System
- Describe how to expand your practice into advising on marriage and divorce from a financial perspective
- Recognize how to be confident you have the knowledge to advise clients in areas not often known by most professionals
NASBA Field of Study
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (1 hour)
Basic understanding of Social Security and how it applies to clients.