Excel 101: Lookup Formulas (Completed)
Date: Tuesday, December 5, 2023
Instructor: David H. Ringstrom
|9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
|2 hours for CPAs
In this session, Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, introduces you to several lookup functions, including VLOOKUP, HLOOKUP, MATCH, and SUMIF. These powerful functions allow you to rapidly develop accurate spreadsheets and look up information, such as pay rates, item prices, and accounting results, versus manually linking to specific cells. David explains the context of when to use lookup functions, demonstrates troubleshooting techniques, and prepares you to deal with subtle issues that can prevent them from working properly.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the subscription-based Microsoft 365 (formerly Office 365) version of Excel. David draws your attention to any differences in the older versions of Excel (2021, 2019, 2016 and earlier) during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
Microsoft 365 is a subscription-based product that provides new feature updates as often as monthly. Conversely, the perpetual licensed versions of Excel have feature sets that don't change. Perpetual licensed versions have year numbers, such as Excel 2021, Excel 2019, and so on.
Who Should Attend
Practitioners who would like to work more efficiently in Excel by using lookup functions, such as VLOOKUP.
- Employing the SUMIF function to sum values related to multiple instances of criteria you specify.
- Exploring the XLOOKUP worksheet function in Excel 2021 and Microsoft 365
- Exploring why VLOOKUP sometimes returns #N/A instead of a desired result
- Future-proofing VLOOKUP by referencing entire columns when available
- Future-proofing VLOOKUP by using Excel's Table feature versus referencing static ranges
- Improving the integrity of spreadsheets with Excel's VLOOKUP function
- Learning what types of user actions can trigger #REF! errors
- Reconstructing spreadsheet data to use VLOOKUP as a better alternative to nesting IF functions
- Simplifying multiple-field lookups with concatenation (combining fields into a single cell)
- Troubleshooting other errors VLOOKUP can present, such as #REF!, #NAME!, and #VALUE!
- Understanding the importance of absolute references within many lookup functions
- Using the Function Wizard to edit or review existing VLOOKUP formulas
- Identify and apply the VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP functions
- Identify how to improve spreadsheet integrity with Excel's VLOOKUP function
- Describe how to use the MATCH worksheet function to identify differences between two lists
NASBA Field of Study
Computer Software & Applications (2 hours)