Virtual Currency Overview (Completed)
Date: Tuesday, March 12, 2019
Instructor: Annette Nellen
||9:00am Pacific Time
10:00am Mountain Time
11:00am Central Time
12:00pm Eastern Time
||2 hours for CPAs
2 hours Federal Tax Related for EAs and OTRPs
2 hours Federal Tax Law for CTEC
What Does It Mean When Clients Use Bitcoin and other Virtual Currencies?
This webinar covers different types of commonly used virtual currencies, how and why used, the IRS guidance, and the tax issues not yet addressed by the IRS or state tax authorities. Background to help understand the tax consequences includes definitions, the technical elements of virtual currencies and usage, and how individuals and businesses obtain and use virtual currencies. Developments from state and federal agencies will be covered as well as events and activities including splits, airdrops and ICOs. Due diligence considerations also will be addressed.
Who Should Attend
Practitioners who advise individuals and businesses.
- What is virtual currency?
- Why individuals and businesses use virtual currency
- How individuals and businesses acquire and use virtual currency
- IRS guidance and open issues, and how to deal with them
- Various types of events and activities related to virtual currency and the blockchain
- Due diligence considerations in assisting clients holding and using virtual currency
- Identify virtual currencies, and how they are created and used
- Describe the guidance from the IRS and open issues and how to deal with them
NASBA Field of Study
Taxes (2 hours)