Excel 101: Introduction to Spreadsheets Part 1
Author: David H. Ringstrom
||2 hours for CPAs
This presentation by Excel expert David Ringstrom, CPA, is designed for those who haven’t worked with Excel spreadsheets before or who haven’t used them in several years. He covers spreadsheet basics, different file types you can create, keyboard shortcuts to simplify repetitive tasks, and much more.
David demonstrates every technique at least twice: first, on a PowerPoint slide with numbered steps, and second, in the subscription-based Office 365 version of Excel. David draws your attention to any differences in the older versions of Excel (2019, 2016, 2013, and earlier) during the presentation as well as in his detailed handouts. David also provides an Excel workbook that includes most of the examples he uses during the webcast.
Office 365 is a subscription-based product that provides new-feature updates as often as monthly. Conversely, the perpetual licensed versions of Excel have feature sets that don’t change. Perpetual licensed versions have year numbers, such as Excel 2019, Excel 2016, and so on.
Publication Date: November 2020
Practitioners who need to learn the basics of working with Excel spreadsheets.
- Understanding how to enter dates in an Excel spreadsheet
- Handling situations where numbers are presented as # signs on-screen and in Print Preview
- Understanding Excel's Freeze Panes feature
- Surfacing hidden Excel commands instantly by way of the Tell Me feature in Excel 2016 and later
- Saving time by using the AutoSum formula to sum multiple columns at once with a mouse click or a keyboard shortcut
- Mastering Excel's order of operations for mathematical formulas
- Learning the nuances of copying formulas within Excel spreadsheets
- Using keyboard shortcuts to navigate your way through worksheets
- Using a custom number format to hide zero amounts within a specific area of a spreadsheet
- Understanding the difference between working within a cell versus working on a worksheet
- Navigating large workbooks with ease by way of a hidden menu as well as keyboard shortcuts
- Identify how to skip confusing menus by way of time-saving mouse tricks and keyboard shortcuts
- Describe the structural basics of Excel worksheets and workbooks
- Recognize and apply some basic data-analysis techniques
- Identify keyboard shortcuts and how they apply
NASBA Field of Study
Computer Software & Applications (2 hours)