Filing for Benefits: The How and Best Ideas
Author: Theodore Sarenski
||1 hour for CPAs
Most clients qualify for Social Security benefits. Join expert, Theodore Sarenski, CPA/PFS, CFP, AEP, as he goes through how your clients apply for these benefits and what the optimum time to begin the benefits are.
Publication Date: May 2019
Any professional who is advising individual clients should attend this session as well as all of the series of the Social Security sessions to properly advise your clients on Social Security, the backbone of each person’s retirement.
- How to apply for Social Security benefits online or in person
- Does one begin benefits at age 62, Full Retirement Age (FRA) or age 70?
- How do Social Security benefits fit in with other assets your client may have or not have
- Identify how to assist your clients in applying for Social Security benefits
- Recognize how to advise your clients on the best option to begin benefits for their personal and unique situation
- Recognize and apply the complexities of couple planning for Social Security Benefits
- Describe how many months prior to your 62nd birthday you can apply online for benefits
- Describe the final year people born in 1953 can take advantage of restricted application for spousal benefits only
- Identify options for a widow or widower
- Recognize how many months it normally takes to begin receiving benefits after an application is made
- Identify exceptions when a person would not need to take the higher of their own benefit or ½ of their spouse's benefit when applying for Social Security retirement benefits
NASBA Field of Study
Specialized Knowledge and Applications (1 hour)